What is a wind mitigation inspection and what will it do for me?
The Wind Mitigation Inspection allows us to identify features of your home that mandate a discount on your insurance premiums. The money we save our clients typically pays for not only the wind mitigation, but all other inspections we perform. Every discount the home owner receives through this inspection will be a residual savings that they will receive every year. Our goal is to position you to maximize the potential discounts that you deserve based on the construction and features of your home.
A wind mitigation inspection is performed to identify attributes that each home may have that can result in significant discounts in your home-owner’s insurance premiums. Insurance rates will be quoted at a maximized standard rate until the information from this wind mitigation inspection is implemented into a formula which will deflate your premiums while maximizing your potential discounts. Some of the discounts received can be achieved through the following areas.
- A discount is received for any roof that has been permitted after March 1st. of 2002. The complete roof needs to have been updated and not just a portion of the roof.
- A discount is also received when the plywood of roof is nailed to the trusses by the means of an 8d nail spaced at no more than 12 inches apart. Additional discounts may be received when the nailing pattern is no more than 6 inches apart.
- A discount is given when a secondary water barrier is installed on top of the roofs plywood to prevent water from penetrating between the seams of the sheathing.
- There are discounts granted based on the shape of the roof. A hip roof is the best deflector of wind and therefore poses the least amount of risk to heavy wind storms. We will identify the shape of the roof and the percentages of the shapes to verify if it meets the requirements for this discount.
- There is also a discount that is granted when every opening to the home is protected with a product that meets the requirements for the large missile impact test. It is required that every opening has this protection as the discount is granted based on the weakest form of protection.
This wind mitigation inspection exists to give every home owner the opportunity to identify aspects of their home that warrant a discount on their insurance premiums. If your home limits the risk that is exposed during a storm, then discounts should be granted accordingly.